[Coco] coco OS9 boot ROM

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Dec 6 09:40:00 EST 2003

Allen

The original Pagewriters (the grey models) had limited memory for applications.
One of the early drawbacks to the unit was that at the time of development the flash
technology just was not there to be able to read and write to a single flash at the
same time. So the OS and apps sit in one flash and memory an others in another.
Also 512Kx16 sram on board. The transmit antenna sits behind the LCD display in
the flip.

There was a neat hurricane tracking program written for the Pagewriter 2000
models. Every time the NHS updated the coordinates you got a page and the
information was displayed on a map. The program also tried to do a short range
projection of where the storm was heading. Yes the map used vertical and the
horizontal scrolling to get a VGA map onto a 1/4 VGA screen. Timeport models are
nothing more than a Pagewriter 2000 with different color housing. It was an attempt
to align the product with more popular celluar products as gain brand reconginition.

james