[Coco] Disk drive questions?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 16:36:00 EST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 14:44, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Jim
>
>If I remember correctly yes you can have two disk controllers in the
> MPI. Drive 0 must be in the first slot. Also, if my memory serves
> me corrrectly, you can have four single sided drives or two double
> sided drives or two single sided and one double sided drive. So yes
> three physical drives are the max allowable if one is the double
> sided otherwise four.

Actually, since the drive selection has nothing to do with the floppy
disk controller chip, one *could* decode those 3 lines used for drive
select into 8 real enable signals.  So one could run as high as 7 or
8 double sided drives by using os9.  3 was enough for me, so I never
explored that little tributary to increased storage.

>The main controllers used by the Coco are the 1773 and the 1793
> chips. The 1773 and 1793 will handle both single and double
> density. These controllers only work with single sided drives only!

Oh?  You should tell that to the 5 or 61 controllers I have that all
run double sided disks just fine.  AFAIK, when the side select line
goes true for side 1 as opposed to side 0, the sector count (written
to the sector register in these chips, is expected to continue to
increment, for os9, sector 19 is the other side of the disk IF the
Logical Sector Number arrived at by the seek commands math has a
sector number modulo of 19-36.  So the chip has no concept of "side",
only the track and sector numbers writtren to those corresponding
registers.

> Therefore the capcity for 35 tracks is 160K and 320K respectively.
> These two can be replaced with a 1777 or a 1797 respectively and
> access double sided disk drives. Warning the 1777 conroller is a
> rare as hen's teeth. The 1797 is available.
>
>RSDOS treats double sided drives as two single sided drives. This is
> because the 1773/1793 controller chips do not have side select
> capabilities.

"Side Select" is not a function of any of these chips, its a seperate
latching register on the controller board, and is driven by the disk
driver software.  The chip in use doesn't enter into the picture
other than searching for the sector number written to its sector
address register by the driver.  As thats an 8 bit value, and the
chips don't check for any overflows that my experiments found, one
could theoreticly have a single track that was 255 sectors long.
That disk would be several feet in circumference though. :)

> Also the 177x series of controllers, FD501 and FD502,
> can only read and write a maximum of 360K per side. The 1793, FD500
> will read and write 720K per side.

Untrue.  The only limitation in these chips is that the 1773 family
cannot do a data rate of 500khz, only the std (for Tandy stuffs) of
250khz, thereby limiting an 80 track double sided disk to 720k.
Halve that for a 48 tpi drive.  If the drive itself will step on in,
then each additional track is another 4604 bytes per side/track
gained IIRC.  I usually ran drives like that at an effective capacity
of 765k.

>Also the 1793 controller will work on the COco3 if and only if it is
> plugged into the MPI.

Only because the mpi furnishes the +12 volts that particular Radio
Shack contoller needs for its offchip data decoder's input offset
bias.  Coco 1 and 2's supplied that at the cartridge port, the coco3
doesn't due to running out of power in the builtin psu, so it only
works in the mpi which does furnish that voltage.

Hard Drives International made one that didn't need the +12 volts.
Made in a black metal box.  However, you are correct in that those
were apparently made in limited quantities.  I did have one, but NDI
where it went by 2003.  Its been years since I stumbled over it.
Actually, IIRC, that controller had a fujitsu MB8877 in it, a 1793
clone in hcmos that could be run as high as 1 megabaud for its data
rate.  Somewhere, I have a data sheet on that puppy from fujitsu if
it hasn't moldered away with age.