[Coco] Disk drive questions?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Dec 4 14:46:00 EST 2003

Jim

If I remember correctly yes you can have two disk controllers in the MPI. Drive 0
must be in the first slot. Also, if my memory serves me corrrectly, you can have four
single sided drives or two double sided drives or two single sided and one double
sided drive. So yes three physical drives are the max allowable if one is the double
sided otherwise four.

The main controllers used by the Coco are the 1773 and the 1793 chips. The 1773
and 1793 will handle both single and double density. These controllers only work
with single sided drives only! Therefore the capcity for 35 tracks is 160K and 320K
respectively. These two can be replaced with a 1777 or a 1797 respectively and
access double sided disk drives. Warning the 1777 conroller is a rare as hen's teeth.
The 1797 is available.

RSDOS treats double sided drives as two single sided drives. This is because the
1773/1793 controller chips do not have side select capabilities. Also the 177x series
of controllers, FD501 and FD502, can only read and write a maximum of 360K per
side. The 1793, FD500 will read and write 720K per side.

Also the 1793 controller will work on the COco3 if and only if it is plugged into the
MPI.

james