[Coco] Coco Newby

arikboke at yahoo.com arikboke at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:04:00 EST 2003

I'd like to thank all the people who replied to my initial query, including
those by personal email.  It seems that opinion is united in having the Coco be
the basis of my education (well, this IS a Coco list!).

My next step is to acquire a Coco!  One of the women of my family apparently
threw out, quite unceremoniously, my original Coco2, software, Rainbow
magazines, etc. (guess I should have moved my things out sooner).  I have no
recourse but to buy a new Coco3 system (although my wife is going to absolutely
kill me for this).

I'd like my Coco3 to be completely solid-state, i.e. I don't want moveable
disks or cassettes, etc., and so I want to max out on RAM and FLASH, but I
don't want a cluttered desktop.  I've been looking into the Cloud-9 site, and
by golly, they seem to have a bundle of goodies.

(1)  Is the 512k board able to take higher capacity SIMMS?  I've a quad set of
4meg SIMMs from my old Mac IIvx that I think I can cannibalize.  If not, what
memory expansion board allows for use of higher SIMMS or DIMMs?

(2)  Is there an internal board that accepts FLASH Cards?  The Cloud-9 site
states that they have a flash adapter for a "Glenside IDE" adapter.  Sounds
expensive, complicated, and messy.  A direct internal adapter would be nice.

(3)  Is there a VGA adapter?  Cloud-9 does not seem to mention a universal VGA
adapter.  An acquaintance who is an MSX freak says that VGA adapter cables have
been available for MSX boxes forever.  Would it be possible to adapt their
cable for the Coco?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
David