[Coco] Coco Newby

Steeman, Fedor FSteeman at zmuc.ku.dk
Tue Dec 2 03:14:00 EST 2003

Hi Arik,

Your story sounds astoundingly much like my own.

I too was I young CoCo-enthusiast in the eighties (like most here). I started out with the chiclet 4K CoCo1 that I upgraded and later bought a CoCo3. Then, as I started studying (I did biology too, though specialized in paleobiology) the sustainabilty of the CoCo and interest in it withered away. I shifted to GW-Basic on my then 486 and then later stepped up to learning Visual Basic (former experience with Color Basic being a huge advantage). I also learned HTML and some more stuff like XML. Presently, I am using these skills as a data coordinator in an international species database project, being actually the professional 'bio-informaticist'. A few years ago, I discovered to my surprise that the CoCo community was still alive (even here in Europe!) and immediately started investing in picking up the Coco again as a nifty, little, educational hobby machine.

I have now finally begun learning assembly language programming (which was a total mystery to me back in the eighties) by devouring Bill Barden's book and it has had a PROFOUND impact on my understanding of how computers work and also the mechanics of any higher-level programming language. I have so many plans and so many ideas now, but unfortunately very little time combining career with a sprouting family. I want to adapt some classic Coco2 games to hires Coco3 graphics and am even thinking of writing a Coco-version of Tierra or some other artifical life system. Perhaps we could join forces on this one, both being biologists....

Anyways, recommended books and other stuff are already posted on this list, so I can just wish you success on your road to rediscovering the CoCo!

Cheers,

Fedor