[arg_discuss] ARG metrics

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Wed Sep 14 06:49:04 EDT 2011

Dr. Christy Dena did a good job for many years of collecting the bits and
pieces of statistics that got revealed publicly about several major
projects. See: http://www.christydena.com/online-essays/arg-stats/ A lot of
that disclosure happens first by the client, so we developers start with our
hands tied ... but by the time an advertising agency is making case studies
for ad awards, there starts being more of that data out there (and the
non-disclosure agreements for developers no longer have to protect that
revealed info as confidential).

That said, I'm not sure I agree with your perspective below -- there are
analytics in the field, but analytics aren't the same thing as predicting
ROI (just as there are analytics in film but that isn't the same thing as
predicting profit for a film). You can't compare these things across one set
of metrics, because they exist for very different goals -- and those goals
should be from the metrics that those clients already understand and buy
into from a business or mission perspective. It would be short-sighted and
counter-productive for the genre if we have to push a "different set of
metrics" to a client that's somehow specific to ARGs, much like that phase
in social media when WOMMA tried to advance "WOM units" as if it were a
meaningful "new" metric (because they were trying to sell "potential reach"
as valuable instead of reach).

When we do this kind of work (for either commercial or NFP funders), the
goal is the single most important thing to understand, and that goal has to
be something that could be articulated metrically. Metrics are indicators of
goal accomplishment, but not the actual goal. So if the goal is "create
awareness" or "produce consideration" or whatnot, then you can design the
experience to ring the bells of those metrics. But that means those goals
have to be business objectives and familiar metrics that allow them to
compare this apple you're building them against the hundreds of oranges they
have had built for them in the past (not compared to other work in the genre
in completely different industries with completely different goals).

If what you're trying to do is help a potential funder understand what the
size of things *might* be, you are not in the world of metrics -- you're in
the world of projections, which is also doable but a totally different
thing. At that point, you need to know about fuel (advertising, for example)
and response rates (like clicks) and engagement rates (like repeat
visitation) and conversion rates (like sales generated or actions taken). In
general, what's distinctive (but not unique) about ARGs are the impact they
have on engagement rates and engagement depths ... and then, there are
predictable outcomes from increased engagement that can be measured and
tracked (like on sales or consideration).