[arg_discuss] John Maccabee founder of CityMystery

John Maccabee johnmaccabee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:41:47 EDT 2011

I have been working in and around ARGs for five years - two as a novice, and
three as a professional. My first game appeared at George Washington
University and was called Gone Jason - in which players had to extract
information from truly neurotic actors manning [womanning] cell phones.
There were four teams and four neurotics - i.e. obsessive-compulsive,
hysteric, habitual liars and grandiose. Actors had scripts but were asked to
improvise. Players had a great time, and no trouble willingly suspending
disbelief. CityMystery was formed in 2008, and our first game was Ghosts Of
A Chance for the Smithsonian American Art Museum, an archive of which you
can find at ghostsofachance.com. We have a game currently running -
pheon.org - sponsored by the Smithsonian, the University Of Maryland's
iSchool, the Internet Archive and the Encyclopedia Of Life. We have
continuing relationships with several schools [high schools, undergraduate
and graduate] and we are in various stages of development of curricula with
them. I am currently working with a well-known Broadway lyricist/composer
and book writer about applying transmedia production to theatrical work. I
have presented twice at argfest-o-con, once mysteriously and just this
summer by request. I look forward to spirited discussions through argsig. My
goals are mostly noble but I am a sucker for low humor and flesh. Thank you.
Best, John Maccabee

--
John Maccabee
CityMystery LLC