[arg_discuss] Software for managing games/events/playercommunication

Jeff Watson remotedevice at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:20:24 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

Christy -- thanks for the shout out!

Kim -- I've been experimenting lately with different ways of tapping into users' existing social media profiles, and have found a few things on the Wordpress platform that might be helpful for doing what you're trying to do.

First, there are a variety of plugins that can link a Wordpress install to players' Facebook and Twitter profiles. This makes it easy for players to have a single sign-on that grants them access to your site so long as they're logged into Twitter or Facebook (think of the easy login for Echo Bazaar). Check out the plugins called "wp-fbconnect" and "Twit Connect". You might also want to look into Gigya Socialize, which is a kind of meta-API that enables users to associate OpenIDs, Google accounts, and more alongside FB and Twitter.

Once you've got players registered on a Wordpress site, you can run it basically as a kind of meta app -- Facebook users can access using FB credentials, and you can communicate with them through their walls or whatever. Same goes for Twitter users, etc. You can expand and extend the range of functionality here with the universe of plugins and scripts for Wordpress, depending on your needs (SMS, for example). One full-blown way to go would be to use BuddyPress, which is a kind of social networking platform in a plugin thing. BuddyPress opens up a lot of communications options, and even some game mechanics with things like the Achievements plugin (which could easily be hacked to just be a simple profile-tracking tool). If you or one of your team have some basic PHP and web design skills, modding WP in this way will be a relative breeze.

Anyway, please update us on the solutions you develop. Your wish list of 'things which help manage communications with players and time-sensitive cross-platform content rollout' is awesome and exactly the kind of stuff that I think many of us on this list are thinking about!

Best,

Jeff