[arg_discuss] Second Runs & Contracts for an ARG

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 22:41:25 EDT 2010

I have some philosophic questions in reaction to this news
announcement: http://www.webseriesnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/mtvs-web-series-valemont-goes

The money quote is this: "Per Fireworks, the company has rights to all
content for Valemont, including 35 short-form episodes, the ARG, the
prequel episodes and extra videos online, plus five half-hour episodes
and the 100-minute TV movie."

This isn't the first time an ARG has been tapped for a second
go-round. I'm pretty sure Regenesis did a second round (correct me if
I'm wrong.) Temporarily ignoring the question of what it means to
rerun an ARG in terms of production and writing, though they are
related issues -- if an ARG is sold for a second run, where does the
money go? TV writers get residuals, right? Does a TV production staff
also get 'em?

More to the point... For those of us involved in making original IP,
should we start putting language in our contracts making sure we get a
slice of the pie if a project makes it onto bigger and better things?

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.aaphillips.com