[arg_discuss] Alternate/Alternative Reality Game?

Nathan Mishler nathan at studiocypher.com
Thu Aug 26 12:43:00 EDT 2010

Hi Masa!

We usually say "Alternate Reality Game"

Alternate means "different." The game presents a different reality to
the players.

Alternative implies there is a choice. You can have normal reality, OR
you can have the different reality.

ARGs are generally thought of as putting one reality on top of
another. You don't choose one reality over another, you get both!

I'm very glad to hear that Japanese companies are making ARGs. I would
love to go to Japan some day and work on ARGs.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Masashi Seiki <epics at igda.jp> wrote:

> Hello, all!

> I'm Masa, a member of SIG-ARG of IGDA Japan chapter.

> IGDA Japan SIG-ARG was established about one years ago,

> and opened an ARG information blog in Japanese - http://arg.igda.jp/

> Eventually, ARG seems to become popular in Japan this year!

> Some ad companies and web developers announced that

> they would start ARG development business.

> So, discussions about ARG become active in Japan,

> and there is a very very basic question:

> -- "Alternate Reality Game" or "Alternative Reality Game" ?

> We refered to Wikipedia, ARGNet, ... then concluded that

> "Alternate Reality Game" seemed correct.

> But, we also understand that "ARG" is from a Sci-Fi term "Alternative Reality."

> So we are very confused.

> We can't feel the nuances between "Alternate Reality" and "Alternative Reality."

> If anyone knows, would you teach me, please?

> "Alternative Reality Game" is incorrect term?

> By the way, feel free to contact me if you are interested in ARGs in Japan.

> But I'm not good at English, so please write email in plain English :-)

> Thanks,

> Masashi Seiki

> Co-Chair of IGDA Japan SIG-ARG

Nathan Mishler
Studio Cypher - Amazing Games Everywhere
http://www.twitter.com/StudioCypher
(812) 361-5981