[arg_discuss] White Paper - 2010 Edition

John Willoughby john at savix.net
Fri Apr 9 10:19:39 EDT 2010

Maybe you are including this in the "rise of transmedia" but how about a
section on technology trends and how that has transformed what an ARG can
be. One aspect is the integration of different artistic and communication
media, and one is the development of core technology itself. The integration
provides us with the opportunity to even have effective transmedia in the
first place. And the core technology is not just an enabler of content but a
transformer of the entire business model. 20 or 30 years ago Hollywood could
not have produced "What's in the box". Now a grad student with a few hundred
dollars can create it and distribute it worldwide all by himself. Music,
graphics, video...all these artistic fields are undergoing radical business
transformations as both content creation and content distribution monopolies
are being broken.

A retrospective of how we got where we are would be interesting. A look into
the future would be particularly interesting.