[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Sept. 14: Perspiration or Inspiration?

Judy Tyrer judy.tyrer at redstorm.com
Tue Sep 15 18:32:46 EDT 2009

I used to figure skate. I consider it the quintessential metaphor for life. And one of the things that it taught me is that you know you're doing it right when it becomes easy. I've taken that into writing quite effectively. When I'm doing it right, the writing flows. It's just how much doing it wrong it takes to get to doing it right.

But in fiction, the hours and hours and hours of creating fully developed characters pays off when you sit down and they start spewing out the greatest jokes that I could never think of if I sat down to write jokes. So when it's hard, I usually know I'm doing something wrong. Usually it's because the character doesn't want to go that way or the story has decided to take a turn I'm resisting it.

So I sort of disagree. It really IS easy, it's just really hard to make it so easy.

Judy