[arg_discuss] What if ARGs had a real festival?

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Sep 3 18:56:51 EDT 2009

That's really cool!

I have this utter fascination with collaborative music. I have never
been able to figure out why because I don't have a musical bone in my
body. Yet, when I'm bored or when I need to force my brain to work on
something else - I almost always default to brainstorming various
musical sorts of things.

For example, one idea from back in the grad school days (which would
be so much easier now with iphones and whatnots) is using a cellphone
to log into a system that would let you choose an instrument and
dancer and, then, join a symphony that plays out on a big projection.
You use the number pad to play music and your little dancer dances to
the beat and rhythm of the music you're playing on your phone. As you
play higher notes, maybe it goes to the right of the big screen. As
you play more rapidly, maybe it goes higher. Whatever. As long as
you're playing he's dancing and moving to the beat and sound. But your
dancer isn't the only dancer there. Everyone else that's logged in
also has a dancer on the screen. The music that you are making is
projected to the audience . Now, what does that sound like? Will
people fall into a beat with each other? Will they be able to make
music or will it just be this strange cacophony?

There's something that fascinates me about that idea from a public and
collaborative play perspective. I've got less noisy headache making
ideas, though, too. Most tend to revolve around the visuals that
accompany the sound. Some also bring in tactile objects - some aren't
very practical (like beach balls that as they're passed around an
audience change the visuals based on the where the ball was hit - the
color and width of the color. I'd imagine the lifespan of those would
be about a minute and a half. still cool, though, for that minute and
a half).

Few, however, are as simple as a silent dance party.