[arg_discuss] What if ARGs had a real festival?

Christopher Amherst camherst at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 17:05:39 EDT 2009

Personally, I think that a "play" festival would have two possible effects:
1) Frustrate players because it is difficult to encapsulate all the
nuances of a long-term interactive narrative, unless the festival was
just a "launch" event for several productions or the ARG had built-in
an "event" at the festival.

2) Has the potential of forcing developers, designers, and writers to
distill their narratives into intense experiences because of the
likely time constraints. Ie. "You have 4 - 6 hours to get people in
and out of Wonderland" It would also likely launch the "micro-ARG"
format.

Yes, I agree if you program it closer to a Sundance Film Festival
rather than a Comic-Con, it would have a stronger appeal to me on a
professional level. More so, if some of the experiences at the
Festival gave us creative types a chance to ponder how we could
integrate that activity in some later production.

Chris