[arg_discuss] What if ARGs had a real festival?

Markus Montola Markus.Montola at uta.fi
Wed Sep 2 18:01:16 EDT 2009

In the Nordic countries the most interesting larp meeting is the
Knutpunkt (a.k.a. Solmukohta). The thing is that very few larps are
played in the convention itself, since high-end larps are not easy to
stage in that environment. I mean -- if you want to spend a week in a
fantasy village with a hydraulic dragon (www.dragonbane.org), or a
weekend on a city square full of trash and societal problems
(www.systemdanmarc.dk), it does not easily fit into a
convention/festival program.

So, when larps are played in conventions, they are always of special
variety suited for the occasion -- parlor larps and the like -- and
not the "real thing". Of course, over the years the genre of
convention larps has grown into a thing in itself.

And that's what would apply to ARGs as well I suppose. Staging the
"real thing" -- massively collaborative long-term internet puzzle
thingys -- would not make sense, so you'd end up with something closer
to puzzlehunts and the like. That could grow into an interesting genre
of festival ARGs or not, dunno.

(Similar progression has happened with the Game culture. Actual Games
are too massive to stage in smaller events, so small Gamelike
experiences -- like Shinteki Decathlons
(http://blog.puzzalot.com/2009/06/shinteki-5-playtest-and-volunteering.html)
have emerged.)

The question on whether a con-larp can ever aspire to be as "cool" as
the real thing, or whether a Shinteki-like mini-Game can ever be as
cool as the real thing, is up to you to decide. The question, I
suppose, is whether you can get a sensible ARG experience in less than
16 hours.

My 2c,

- Markus