[arg_discuss] What if ARGs had a real festival?

Thomas Maillioux thomas.maillioux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:42:42 EDT 2009

Hi everyone !

John, you make an interesting point - and I reached the same conclusion
about a year ago before the launch of Fais-Moi Jouer ! by reaching out to
the French LARP community. However, "big" LARP associations never got back
to me about the possibility of analyzing the ARG phenomenon through their
lenses. However, I'll make sure to bug them again : thanks for bringing this
up !

As for Michael's initial point, I think it's an interesting suggestion in
terms of...
1) Community involvement : Should people sign up early for such an event, it
would be possible to open a games submission section giving ARG designers
(independent preferably ?) the opportunity to pitch their scenario to the
community and if need be recruit actors for non-playing characters,
voluntary writers or puzzle designers (if they're into that kind of thing).
Based on conceptual work and a synopsis, the players/attendees could vote to
select their top 3 games, which would then be players at the event.

2) Players numbers : All too often games die out because of the lack of
players in the middle of the mass of non-players, whether that's through the
Internet or whatever the media of your choosing is, no matter how good your
story/storytelling/puzzles/designs. Being able to reach people who're
essentially there for the purpose on playing gives designers a better chance
to show what they have to offer instead of going out in a whimper.

3) I had a 3rd point which completely eludes me for now !

Thoughts ?