[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Oct. 12: You Tell Me

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Fri Oct 16 14:45:13 EDT 2009

> I say always follow your heart, and in those times you have

> to choose money over desire, don't let those jobs derail

> your ambitions!

Picking up on Mike's theme, the tipping point for me happened during
pre-registration of my freshman year in college. My academic advisor hit me
with the mother of all observations, which was a like a time bomb.

Don't worry what you're going to major in, don't worry about what you're
going to do with your life. You have to decide what kind of person you are.
Do you do something you're good at and make a lot of money and derive your
happiness in life from that? Or do you do something you love regardless of
how much money it makes you and derive your happiness in life from that? You
can't plan on both, that takes luck.

At 19, that was way too much for me to absorb, but it pretty much guided my
choices after that (including leading me into the independent arts
traditions, which tend to be long on passion and shorter on money). I aimed
for what I love to do and now also count myself lucky.