[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Fri Jun 19 16:57:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, June 19, 2009 12:59 pm, Brian Clark wrote:

> "As someone else mentioned, interacting with fictional characters is

> fun *because we CAN DETERMINE they're fictional.* If we CAN'T

> DETERMINE, that added magic isn't there. And can't be added on

> later."

Ah, but that implies that your audience is limited to those who are
"smart enough" to make the determination with the amount of evidence
you have given them. This level of evidence is different for each
person. For some, the mere mention of "vampire" is enough evidence.
For others... not enough.

There is certainly an amount of enjoyment from "ah! I'm smart enough
to figure out that's a magic circle right there!"

But I contend that the real enjoyment is from *recognizing* a magic
circle that resonates with that personality. "Wow, look at that
amazing play space." Not from feeling smug and superior to all those
not smart enough to determine the fiction using the evidence provided.

But I'm very inclusionist in my ARG philosophies. I want to invite
everyone to play along, and if they choose not to - that's okay. But I
want to offer them the opportunity in a fair way.

> I accept that valid art might include invisible theater, the

> dramatic unfolding in places and ways that break with social

> tradition. I think playing around the responsible edges of that

> are a part of where the thrill of the ARG form actually comes

> from (for participants and creators.)

I agree. But I contend that the break with social tradition is in fact
one kind of the very boundary I am so enamored with - the boundary of
the magic circle. This is outside of the norm... but it's ok because
it's a magic circle.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com