[arg_discuss] ARGFest: updated information & keynote announced

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Jun 18 16:07:35 EDT 2009

The ARGFest committee has been working like crazy over the past couple
of weeks and it looks like it's beginning to pay off - we've got some
great things in store and have recently made a couple of announcements:

Jordan Weisman is going to deliver this years keynote.
I'm sure he needs little introduction on this list, but just in
case... it was his twisted mind that pulled together the team for The
Beast. And then took them to 42 Entertainment. And then helped to
create Cathy's Book (and Cathy's Key and Cathy's Ring). The latest
book, Personal Effects: Dark Art just hit the stores and his latest
company, Smith & Tinker, just launched their first game: Nanovor. To
say we're thrilled & honored to get him when he's so busy is an
understatement by many orders of magnitude.

Mazda's 33 Keys is going to be the subject of the featured presentation.
A number of the guys that put this together will be speaking and in
attendance. Rumor has it that they're very eager to share what they've
learned and we'll get a lot of information from them on the production
and deployment. As this game took place in Quebec and so much of the
material for it is in French, I am very excited to be able to get some
info that my English language brain can understand. Plus, there might
be talk on metrics and the like - not so exciting for the players
among us, but happy making for the producer types.

Robot Speed Dating will lead us into the Friday night cocktail party.
The new and independent team behind Must Love Robots is coming and
they're going to put on Robot Speed Dating Friday before the cocktail
party. Judging from the things they've been doing, it should be
hilarious and fun. But, I wonder, will some of us get dates to the
cocktail party?

Lots of great speakers from lots of great teams & companies. A growing
list can be found here: http://www.argfestocon.com/about/speakers/

Hotel reservations need to be made before June 26th if you want to
take advantage of the reduced rates. You can read details on the
booking page: http://www.argfestocon.com/location/booking/

We are still very much in need of donations and sponsorships - putting
together a conference ain't cheap! So please, consider donating as an
individual (just $10 will get you Order of the Trout but more is more
better!) and/or as a company. We're very generous with giving credit
and will plaster your name all over stuff if you want us to. Of
course, the more you give, the more stuff we'll plaster. Also, if you
know of anyone who we should approach for sponsorship, please let us
know - getting money out of folks often takes a connection or two,
especially in this economy. You can read more on the sponsorship page: http://www.argfestocon.com/sponsors/sponsorship/
and you can check out our media kit if that helps: http://media.argfestocon.com/files/ARGFest_2009_Media_Kit.pdf
(link goes to an 8MB PDF)

I really hope to see you there. I won't lie - I had my doubts earlier
on. But it really is shaping up to be one fantastic weekend and I'm
crazy excited about it. I can't put my finger on what feels different
- ARGFest has always been fun - it just does. And, yay!, it's less
than a month away!