[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 20: DesignerResponsibilities to the Public

Hugh Davies marcus.helm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:21:19 EDT 2009

Ive been lurking on this thread and ones like it for a while.
I have to say, I agree completely with Brian on this one.

I'm currently researching ethics of Pervasive and Alternate reality games
experiences on participants and by standers for my masters research and im
delivering a Paper on the subject at ISEA in Belfast next month. Is anyone
going to be there?

Anyway, without presenting the whole thing here i conclude the paper with
something like:

If we are to weight the ethics of presenting these works in public spaces,
would that not require us to question all experiences and messages found in
public places from media journalism, political and religious statements and
perhaps most importantly, omnipresent advertising? Should these messages
also be scrutinized for any potential or actual ontological confusion they
inspire?

Everyday reality is constructed and mediated, changing but constant. The
artists behind these works can momentarily peel back the corners of our
shared and assembled real, allowing us to question the motives of those who
create it. These works invite audiences to critically engage with
*all*reality, but neither the works nor artists themselves can topple
the real.
In fearing that they could, we misjudge both their agency and the aims.
Hugh

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Andrea Phillips <deusexmachinatio at gmail.com