[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 20: Designer Responsibilities to the Public

Annika Waern annika at sics.se
Tue Jul 21 02:39:54 EDT 2009

This is an interesting topic with no easy answers (and one that
Montola, Stenros and I discuss quite a lot in our book "pervasive
games: Theory and design"). ARGs tend to stage some kind of
fictionalised reality, and since it is available in the 'real
world' (even if this is the web) not everyone that stumbles upon game
content will know it's a game. We call such games 'socially expanded'
and they tend to raise ethical questions both concerning players and
bystanders.

Personally, I think that in socially expanded games you should make an
effort to design the bystander experience, and not only the experience
for the player who is already in the know. In that process, you'll
want to both offer the bystander an interpretation of what they see
("this is a fake website", for example) and a way to relate to it
(such as "I can enter into the game or just ignore it"). Andrea seems
to have done precisely this - she considered the accidental website
visitor's experience and then went through some effort to make sure
that sucha a visitor would understand the fictional nature of the
site. She might have designed every site to be a rabbit hole
invitation to the game as well, turning the occasional visitor into a
prospective player.

By this, I don't mean that you MUST avoid misleading the occasional
non-player that stumbles upon your game. It can sometimes be fun to be
fooled, there might be a political / artistic reason to fool somebody,
or you might even consider it an 'acceptable risk' given that there is
always somebody who is prone to believe in just about anything. One of
the reasons why this was an issue for routs 'Routes' was probably that
the game dealt with a serious subject which is high on the current
agenda. This makes it more likely both that people will be mislead,
and that people will care about being 'fooled'. But it is also often
the reason why you want to create reality fiction in the first place -
you want to discuss something important rather than just entertain.

(Incidentally, a pop-up warning is probably not the ideal way to
advertise the fictional nature of a website. 'Sanningen om Marika'
used this, and it didn't really work out. For the dedicated players,
the popups were irritating as they kept reminding them of the
fictional nature of the production. At the same time, many people
don't read pop-ups. It seems like some people even participated in the
game activities without realising that they were participating in a
game...)

Annika Waern
Mobile Life at Stockholm University
pervasive-games.wordpress.com