[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 13: Why are you here?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Thu Jul 16 16:05:08 EDT 2009

Well, The Blair Witch Project opened in the US on 23 (I think) screens 10 years ago today, and since then I have been focusing on distributed, interactive narratives. At some point, someone pointed at a project I was doing (with Brian Clark) and said it was an ARG, and that's when I started following the ARG scene.

While Blair Witch was the most sophisticated attempt at hacking reality I had done at that time, it wasn't the first. Many years before, probably 1992, a friend and I were exposed to Usenet and email through our universities. We started playing characters in the Usenet group devoted to Beverly Hills 90210. The board seemed to be made up of college freshmen gossiping about the characters and situations each episode, so we pretended to be pretentious philosophy grad students who were dissecting the meaning behind the show. Basically, we were speaking intellectual gibberish to each other

"Brandon's philosophical disenfranchisement reflects an inability to deal with his religious la de da and so on."
"I disagree with your hypothesis. Clearly, Brandon has exhibited la de da and so on"

We would post these endlessly verbose responses back and forth over a few months and watch as people either struggled to understand what we were talking about, got the joke and joined in with their own gibberish, or told us to relax, it's just a TV show.

Oh how I enjoyed it.

-Mike