[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 13: Why are you here?

David Flor dflor71 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:49:42 EDT 2009

Cloverfield.

Yeah, I know how that sounds... and I know it's labeling as an "ARG"
is up for debate... but still. That introduced me to UF, and from
there my involvement grew to what it is now.

I'd been a software developer and game designer before, but when doing
video game design I was always limited by my lack of creative ability:
I've coded several game engines from scratch (3D renderers, isometric
engines, tile engines, even an occasional "side scroller"), but it
would take me hours to draw even the most simplest of graphical
elements.

Then I saw ARGs, where the graphics requirements weren't as demanding
- my first game, Looking Glass Labs, wasn't particularly graphic
intensive, and even so it was limited to static images (still took me
a long time, but still) and very primitive 3D work (kept dropping the
same rabbit stock model everywhere) - and thought "hey, I can actually
DO this!"