[arg_discuss] RES: Res: Res: What is an ARG? minimal, skeptic, nihilistic version

Rafael Kenski RKenski at abril.com.br
Tue Jul 7 15:35:33 EDT 2009

Thank you very much for these techniques, Brian. They'll be helpful. I've been pitching ARGs and new storytelling tools to dozens of agencies here in Brazil for more than two years, and it has been a difficult and frustrating task. Below are some of the reasons I've compiled for why it is so. I believe some of them can be found anywhere in the world, but I'm trying to give you an overview of what is like selling an ARG in Brazil.

1. Big media still works in Brazil. Television is still very popular and can reach much of our demographic, even if it is not anymore in its glorious days. We don't have TiVo or DVRs, and broadband and videogames are not as widespread as in developed countries. The same with magazines, which have been increasing in sales for the last couple of years (propelled mostly by a recent increase in the consumption power of the lower classes of Brazilian society). We still have the so called "Big Audiences", and a long and well developed tradition of advertising on them. We don't really need ARGs to reach an specific group. They sound like a luxury to advertiser's ears.

2. Agencies are focused in big media. The advertising market in Brazil works very much like an oligopoly, with few big agencies taking a huge part of the advertising budget. They get their earnings by charging commissions for the whole campaign, so these agencies work by the logic of the taking the simplest, fastest and easiest way to spend the money and reach an audience. They don't want a multi-phased story, spread by hundreds of media they have never heard about. They want a 30 second script. They don't need anything more complex than that. In most agencies I've visited, people have never heard about many basic concepts of online tools or social networks. (Disclaimer: I am, of course, stereotyping. There are many good and open minded professionals in these agencies that are not afraid of innovation. But what I just wrote is not THAT far from the truth).

3. Unsophisticated media strategies. It's very hard to meet a potential client whose goal is not "increase sales" or "show my product to as many people as you can". I know ARGs and crossmedia tools can also "ring these bells", but they are not especially good at it - at least not as good as TV Globo, a media behemoth whose owner has once been called "the Brazilian Citizen Kane". Engagement, as a marketing strategy, is an issue I've never seen in the wild (just in books).

4. Fear. It doesn't matter how hard you try to explain away the chaos, it is really hard to pitch an innovative tool to a client that can barely understand what Creative Commons means. Specially when he works in a big company (or big agency) and has to pitch your idea to his boss and his boss's boss. He doesn't understand, gets scared and play safe. In his logic, no one has ever been fired for producing a magazine page or a TV spot, doesn't matter how bad they are. But in ARGs and related ventures, he doesn't know, and suddenly changes his mental software status to <panic mode: on>. I've also heard a lot of "wow, that's great", and, since our "arg studio" is actually a special branch of a magazine publishing group, this phrase usually ends with a "but give me just a magazine page, ok?"

5. ARGs have become a bad word. We've had some very good ARGs in Brazil (like our Zona Incerta and the ones produced by MTV), but we've also had many terrible ones, with the lamest characters you could imagine and a story so compelling that would make washing dishes look like an exciting adventure. Obviously, they didn't reach their goals, but the worst part is that many of them didn't even finish the campaign - the client sensed it would be a waste of money and exhanged the ARGuish elements for more traditional ones. So, in many companies, the word "ARG" is a password that transfers your pitching to the land of the "I don't want to ever see you again". Except for Zona Incerta (which we sold when ARG was still an unknown word), every other campaign we've had was sold as "just a story", a "transmedia experience" or even "a collaborative movie".

6. Metric. And now I have to make a mea-culpa. As far as I know, we Brazilian puppetmasters have never had the time, money, skill or know-how to develop a good metric to ARGs. All we have to offer are pageviews, unique visitors and comments in forums. Had we had a good metric - as Brian pointed out - I think it would be way easier to overcome the barriers mentioned above.

That's it. I've been lurking for quite a while (not proud of that...), but I'll try to bring you some updates on what is happening here. As Sirangelo pointed out, it is not a pretty picture. But you can always find some good things. :)

Regards,
Rafael