[arg_discuss] TOW: almost 8 years after the Beast, which is your favourite ARG and why?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Jan 14 08:49:16 EST 2009

Above all, I prefer longevity and wealth of story.

With that said, my favorite in most recent years has been Perplex City:

* Cards to collect; I'm a heavy collector and packrat.
* Lots of story available. Not all of it was "mysterious".
* Lasted a long time.

If I look at current-day "ARGs", the only one (I know of) that matches
would be Scholastic's The 39 Clues, which shares much the same bullets:
10 books, 2 years, 355+ cards, and /tons/ of online content. There's so
much content that I still haven't gone through it all yet. I love it.
And yeah, it's aimed for 6 to 14 year olds. Oh well.

A lot of the problem I have with most ARGs is they're too mysterious to
start out with. It's hard for me to "solve a puzzle because it's there",
when there's no contextual reason on /why/ I should (and "I'm missing!"
or "I need your help!" is irrelevant when I have no clue who the
characters are who are pleaing for help). If I want to "solve a puzzle
because it's there", I'll buy a GAMES Magazine. If I want to play an
ARG, I want the AR before I get the G.

Of course, "wealth of story" can backfire. The Halo 3 ARG was neat for a
bit, but quickly became an elitist adventure where you had to have read
the books to really "get it" (since when do toting FPSers read books?).
FTLR was neat for a bit, but I hated the foreign language aspects of it
all. The Cloverfield stuff was great (but that's primarily because I've
had a hard-on for kaiju eiga forever).

--
Morbus Iff ( accept no prostitutes )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/