[arg_discuss] TOW: What's the worst unforseen disaster you had inan ARG, and how did you handle it?

David Flor dflor71 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 23:44:19 EST 2009

For LGL I had the crazy idea of sending a Rubik's Cube to players
because one of the puzzles was based on it. It ultimately wasn't
necessary (they figured out how to solve it without a cube), but I
figured it would not only confirm their theories but serve as a sort of
reward. But my game had a short run - only 8 days - so it was vital to
get the cubes to them as soon as possible. So I picked eight people for
whom I had addresses in the US and mailed them a cube each using US
Postal Service Priority Mail, which cost me around $12 a box.

The problem was that I used Stamps.com, and took an educated guess on
the weight. The USPS service thought otherwise and thought they would
cost more. I wasn't that concerned about this and hoping on "law of
averages"; I only needed one cube to get delivered successfully, and
didn't care if the rest of cubes were never delivered and disappeared in
to ether (at least three cubes did disappear and were never found).

What I was *not* expecting was the USPS, even though there was not
enough postage on the box for a few recipients, DID attempt to deliver
it, but decided to charge the difference in postage - $3.50 in most
cases - TO THE RECIPIENT.

So people began posting on UF "hey, I got a package that the post office
says I have to pay four bucks for!" which was hardly my plan. I wouldn't
have minded if I got charged, but certainly not the players.

I had to step out from behind the curtain briefly and contact these
people, telling them that the package was not vital to the gameplay
progression and they, at their discretion, could elect to not pay the
postal service and return the package.

Most players paid the $3.50 anyway, despite my recommendations.