[arg_discuss] TOW: What's the worst unforseen disaster you had in an ARG, and how did you handle it?

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Wed Jan 7 17:57:42 EST 2009

Hmm. My worst unforseen disaster was that I set up all the clues based
on the "traditional," rather obscure, tech knowledge-heavy modes of
play, and then failed to attract the tech-savvy, ARG-savvy audience.
So essentially, nobody knew how to play the game because they had
never played an ARG before and didn't know the drill.

This slowed everything way down, and I didn't really figure out how to
recover until nearly the end. The audience still had a good time, but
not as good as I think they would have, if they'd had someone there to
show them how to go deep, deep down the rabbit hole.

I know other things went wrong, but that's the big one that jumps out
right away. :-)

Wendy Despain
International Hobo