[arg_discuss] Need Suggestion

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Tue Dec 15 08:14:48 EST 2009

>I've got the main story idea and character of my mini ARG,

>but I'm stuck in finding a team. Is there any suggestion

>for me to do next?

So, first off, you might have the cart before the horse -- in my experience,
story ideas and characters aren't the first step in the process. Finding the
team more frequently is the first step. The comparison would be: there are a
lot of people in the world that have "ideas for films" -- but if they asked
"but I'm stuck finding a filmmaking team," one might doubt whether they're
ready to jump into making the film.

Second follow-up: what kind of team? ARGs aren't just one thing, so the
teams that make them vary wildly from project to project. So instead of
finding a team, the question is what skill sets are you providing the team
and what skill sets do you need to recruit as a producer to ... well ...
make the production happen :)

Third follow-up: it sounds like you're talking about a grassroots project.
That means you need to find people who you can click with who are also
looking for experience behind the scenes -- so places like unforums.com
Puppetmaster Help forum might be a good place to recruit help (there's even
a thread there where people have volunteered and listed what skill sets they
have.) Getting volunteer armies to assault these kinds of productions have
their own unique challenges, though: the risk of implosion from someone
dropping out is higher than if you're paying them for their efforts :)

Hope that helps at least a little -- hopefully others will throw in
perspectives as well.

Brian