[arg_discuss] SXSW Panel Pimping

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Tue Aug 18 10:16:56 EDT 2009

If you have somehow avoided all the "vote for me!" cries working their
way through twitter and various blogs, then you might not be aware
that SXSW's panel picker went live yesterday. There are 30 or so
panels categorized under ARG but I keep hearing from friends of panels
tucked away in other places.

So... do you have something up for selection? do you know of a panel
that'll probably be awesome but may fly under our radar? do you just
want to tell us we should vote for your best friend's cousin's
coworker's wife?

Me? I've got two, both ARG specific (go figure) up there: http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/index/interactive/q:Brooke+Thompson

The (R)evolution of Alternate Reality Games
http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/4006
This would be a reworking of a presentation that I've given to
corporate clients that details the growth and trends of Alternate
Reality Gaming (and similar). It's sort of an introduction to ARGs by
seeing the type of stuff that's been done in the space and what
various groups seem to be talking about.

To the Streets: ARGs and Real World Play
http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/3958
The idea here is to bring together a producer, a designer, and a
player and have a conversation on live events. So often these are the
things that get the attention and make the press - but why is that? is
there more to them than just the press? what do they offer the player
(and online community)? what goes into creating them? etc etc

I've put together a blog post on some other panels but I'm certain
that I'm missing some of you (sorry!) - let me know and I'll add your
stuff to the list. http://www.giantmice.com/archives/2009/08/vote-for-me-vote-for-me/

(and yes, i know the site needs work... new templates will be going up
later today or tomorrow but, personally, I'm going to miss the ad
placeholders ;))