[arg_discuss] New Topic of the Week Aug. 7: ARG SIG Conference

Joshua Caulfield Joshua at igda.org
Fri Aug 7 11:16:24 EDT 2009

Dear Arg List,

Thank you Andrea for taking the blame, but the blame is mine. I too am very excited about this potential project, and I failed to point out a few of the restrictions we are going to be working within.

As an association professional, one of the places where I bring value is in the operational aspects of meetings. The event planning team at Talley and I are working on finding some great locations that are close to large groups of our members: California, Texas, Washington State and New York are our largest concentrations. However we will look outside of the major venues to find great locations that are more private for a smaller group like ours. (Unless you are bringing 10,000 people into a major metro area, you don't matter to them.)

Why? Because if I can hold the meeting in a smaller city I can literally save $50-$100 per urn on coffee, $2-$3 savings on each can/bottle of red bull/water/soda, save visiting folks $100 a night on room rates, and most importantly bring the cost to attend the meeting below $100.

I hope that makes sense to everyone. Please understand we are still looking at top notch locations, but just not the name that roll off the tongue when you think of cities in the US.

The discussion about this event has been very enlightening, and I look forward to serving you folks up with a great meeting that has a different appeal than ARG fest.

Sincerely,
Joshua Caulfield
Executive Director
IGDA