[arg_discuss] ARG SIG Conference

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Thu Aug 6 23:07:31 EDT 2009

It's hard to say whether an additional conference would hold value without understanding exactly what the focus would be. Would this be for marketers, and thus cover the value of ARG's as marketing properties, presentations on the branding value, the kinds of engagements possible, etc. and so on with all the things that marketers want to hear? Would this be for game developers and cover more the theory, design, economics, and possible business models?

I think it would have to be deeply focused on one thing, for one audience, or else you won't get either audience to spend the time to go. Conferences like SXSW, as big as they are, don't even attract the real heavy hitters of the marketing/advertising world and I suspect the heavy hitters in game development are probably not there either, and that is a huge conference.

I would suggest a few different options that seem viable from my POV:

1. Change the name of ARGFest to open it up a little bit and give it separate tracts. You could have an Marketing/advertising tract, a developers tract, and a community/player tract. Hold it in one day, but have three smaller rooms and run the tracts against each other. People could jump around or stick to one tract, but the social events and keynote could all be combined so you get a nice mix. This way you could concentrate the efforts of putting on an event but still make it valuable to multiple audiences. After a few years, based on attendance, you could split off a tract into a second conference.

2. Partner with an organization that puts these conferences on and offer up panels/presentations sponsored by the ARG-SIG. I agree with Anthony that it's better to go to them than try and get them to come to us.

3. If outreach is the goal, then I think a professionally focused version or ARGN might be the most effective to start. Something that has in-depth interviews about the making of them, articles that dive in deep on various aspects, etc. Most of what is written about ARGs is either wrong or too surface or complete bullshit, so why not become the source for real information. This could be a good way to start and then once there's been some attention to the work at the site a conference can emerge from it.

I just want to say that I think the community based organization of ARG-Fest is essential and vital. I really do see it in a similar area as independent cinema in the early 1980's, when fans who lived outside NY and LA began to form "Film Societies" and start film series at their local cinemas. Some of these organizations ended up buying cinemas and continue to run art house theaters. Others started four-walling screens at regular theaters, eventually proving the market for the films. The result? Chains like AMC began national programs like "Gourmet Cinema" to cater to these groups, eventually just adding independent and foreign films to the mix of bookings. Other Film Societies started regional film festivals, some of which went national and some that stay regional, but all a part of the vital "film fest circuit" that supports both young and established filmmakers, brings their work all over the world, and draws attention to new talent. Many major filmmakers got their start this way. Decades later, many of these organizations, cinemas, and festivals continue to thrive. I think the future of ARGs rests in the passionate community I saw in evidence at ARGFest.

Best,

Mike