[arg_discuss] ARG SIG Conference

Burcu Bakioglu bbakiogl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 18:30:02 EDT 2009

Hey thanks for your response. If you guys thought about this and made some
decisions, fair enough. Here's my input into what has been said here:

1) You're right, the unfiction community is a very closed "clique," and
having been there this year, I see that this has also influenced the
festival (which is created by unfiction). There are almost rules to what you
should think... or how you should respond to panels/speakers. I almost had
to stop myself from commenting once or twice. The clues to this are very
subtle, mind you.
2) But this attitude is not fruitful for them or for ARGFest if they hope to
get a larger pool of funding and increase participation. People were already
talking about how to fund next year's event. Mike Monello gave them great
ideas within the context of unfiction.
3) Since there is not alternative convention at this point, anyone who is
remotely interested in ARGs will show up there, i.e. me and others who are
not active in unfiction. Some of the panelist later told me "I didn't even
think that our project was an ARG." And, to tell you the truth, neither did
I. But it was great being exposed to them! And I hope unfiction people got a
lot out of it too, or they thought about it and saw some alternatives.
4) Creating an alternative that sounds like a legitimate conference will
steal all these people away from ARGFest, i.e. people who are broke or have
limited funding (such as myself who is running on negative balances these
months) will prefer to attend one of them. If they wanna hang out with
friends they go to ARGFest or if they want a broader range of people
including researchers/educators/industry people they'll go to ARG sig. But
it will make it harder to cross-polinate.

Where does this leave ARGFest?
1) Well, most people won't have money or desire to participate in both
2) The unfiction community will lose their chance of interacting with ARG
people who are not entrenched with the ideas of unfiction forums.
3) I am almost certain the participation to ARGFest will decrease, funding
opportunities will decrease for them. Who is Microsoft going to fund, a
group of unfiction players or the ARG sig?
4) So in a way (and I am sure without meaning to), by presenting a more
"serious" looking conference as an alternative, we are imposing a very
elitist approach and being just as "dismissive" as the unfiction community
who are being labeled as a closely knit, almost exclusive. And I know this
statement is about to get me in a bag of trouble, but let's call a spade a
spade. Let's put our hats in front of us and be honest with each other.

If i were to be forced to make the "hard" choice between the community and
research/industry/education, guess where my loyalties lie? Although I love
hanging out with the community, my career depends on the research end of the
spectrum. Let me tell you about one of the most rewarding moments of my
research in Second Life... I presented my three-year research on griefers
(who are basically the trouble makers of the virtual worlds who like to
crash sims and plaster penises all over the place) twice in SLCC through the
Education track to a group of educators, who, in all honesty (like
"researchers"), can get a bit boring and uptight at times. And recognizing
that a group of griefers were sitting among the educators listening silently
why the hell their activities were so important to be published/researched,
giving me subtle winks and hi-fives, and later inviting me to a Griefer
Appreciation Gala in some obscure room on the 8th floor where there is free
booze and food, and telling me even more stories of their misdeeds... now
that was priceless... You separate the community from the research end, or
make it harder for each side to participate, you lose that moment. It is
like removing the icing from the cake for me. Sure, the carrot cake is most
nutrious, but damn that icing... that makes it all the more worthwhile...

Again, my point of view...

b.

Thanks,</burcu>

Burcu S. Bakioglu, Ph.D.

http://www.palefirer.com
http://palefirer.com/blog/
Skype: PaleFireR
AIM: PaleFireR

--
"Congratulations! You're the first human to fail the Turing test."