[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Aug. 3: Show and Tell

Naomi Alderman naomi.alderman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:23:32 EDT 2009

Heh. Well, as we're having Perplex City celebration day... Actually, I was
going to nominate the setup for the Monica Grand thing. I was very pleased
with the Salk logs: a set of correspondence between Monica and Pietro, the
journalist she was hoping would help her turn herself in to the authorities:
http://perplexcitywiki.com/wiki/Salklogs.doc

This was one of those things which was conceived to fill a hole: we had an
idea for a cool puzzle (locate a person in a huge apartment complex) and
needed some way to give clues about when Monica was entering and leaving her
apartment. I started out thinking it'd be 1,000 words, tops, but it turned
out closer to 6,000 because the characters had a lot to say! I feel like
it's a successful story with good character development as well as a piece
of writing that did a puzzle job - people have told me since that they found
it moving and memorable - that's really the sweet spot for me.

And then this, from the We Tell Stories project last year:
http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php?option=com_altcaster&task=viewaltcast&altcast_code=e8b78cbab5.
Which was silly and fun - I love opportunities to do live improvisational
writing above almost any other element of games work. It was a small
live-online event, where we really took everything the software would do -
polls, comments, images... - and found a way to fit them in!

I guess that's what I love - when you can find a way to make the technology,
the puzzles and the story work together so that none takes precedence and no
one's left going "they just did this to give us a clue/introduce us to this
tech". Sometimes there's no way around it, but if you can find that spot,
it's great.

- Naomi