[arg_discuss] Giving credit where credit is due (ARGdb credits)

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Thu Apr 9 15:27:03 EDT 2009

I didn't realize that there was such an aversion to people getting
(and giving) credit for work. Is this a recent trend? When ARGdb was
first announced way back when, it was announced as "the IMDB of ARGs"
and most of the feedback was exceptionally positive on the idea of
credits and having a place for games to list the company & folks that
worked on them.

To David's concern - if someone doesn't ever tell us their name, don't
worry, they won't get listed. I'm not out to take away anyone's aura
of mystery or whatever. And it's not out of the realm of possibility
that someone would be listed only by an alias - more than a few folks
are only listed by the unfiction username as that is what was
submitted or provided on the official credits list.

To Adam & Brian's concerns - ARGdb would not be giving people the
credit or the title. Those would be submitted and/or ganked from
places where they were listed officially - for example, I took the
Eldritch credits from the developers blog. Any title is given by the
team (or whoever on the team wrote the credits). I was merely
attempting to put some semblance of order to the groupings and, for
those that submitted credits to the site, those subheading would exist
for them to choose from but how they titled and ordered the people
that they put under those subheadings would be up to them. So, picking
on Jan since Brian started it... the database wouldn't care if someone
wanted to list Jan one time or twenty times, it wouldn't care if they
wanted to call her "creator" or "crazy lady" or both - it would only
care to put her and her provided title under some subheading.

To Adam's point of credits on work and credits on the job being
different - that happens frequently, in my experience. I've seen
people at a company where their company title might be "Mr.
PoopyPants" but on a game they might be titled "Batman" and on another
game they might be titled "Spiderman" while their title at work never
changed - just there degree or type of involvement on the projects.
They would be credited on the ARGdb game listings by Batman or
Spiderman or whatever title that they were given for the specific game.

But, wow, I gotta admit that I'm shocked by the "whoa! careful!
credits = bad" feedback. I'd have thought, especially based on the
earlier responses, that people would be pleased by this. I will take
all of your concerns very much into consideration. However, I do feel
that this is an important thing to do not only for historical records
sort of purposes, but also to make sure that people can retain credit
for their work.