[arg_discuss] arg list

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Mon Apr 6 12:42:11 EDT 2009

Dan wrote:
>At first blush, the IGDA is for game developers, which is probably
one reason why we're having problems.

Yes, that's true - IGDA is for game developers, but I don't see why
that's an issue. Game developers often choose to create documents for
and speak outside of their little circle of game developer buddies.
And, beyond that, game developers often have knowledge that is useful
to those outside of the game industry. A little outreach isn't such a
bad thing, especially for ARGs which can have their hands in so many
other cookie jars. mmmm cookies.

Mike wrote:
> So does that mean everything produced by it should be for that
audience? If so, then that's a nice specific audience to help narrow
down what it should be, no?

I don't think so. Do game developers care what sort of companies have
used ARGs for promotional purposes? It seems like it would be more
valuable to people who are researching branded ARGs for some reason.
Discussion about the list hasn't talked about the platforms used or
genre of storytelling or anything of that nature - it is a list of
brands and args that have promoted them. So, from my perspective, the
people that would benefit from it the most are those that would be
looking at those sorts of things. I know that you were attempting to
look at who we wanted to make a list for and then provide the
appropriate content, but it seems to me that someone's gone and
gathered the content and so now it's time to figure out who would best
benefit from it and frame it in that sense.

So, who would benefit from such a list and how would they like to see
it? Slides seem like a great way to go for the ad types out there and
maybe we could have a page on ARGology that's echoes the information
and points to the slides.

Now, the question that seems to be hiding under both of your comments
relates to the aims of the ARG SIG. According to the site, we aim...
(t)o bring together a wide spectrum of experts in the state-of-the-art
of the ARG genre, and to facilitate the sharing of their knowledge and
promotion of ARG's to mainstream games developers. This SIG will also
serve as an initial contact-point for the many organizations who have
trouble knowing where to look but want to work with ARG developers
both professional and hobbyist.

Is that still the case and/or is that the best phrasing?