[arg_discuss] Accounting for Player Disruption?

Andres M. Quijano andres at jengibre.com.ar
Mon Mar 24 15:47:45 EDT 2008

(This isn't really a response, more likely a comment)

I'm seeing quite a few new ARG players from Argentina playing The Lost
Ring. Expectable, at first a lot of people started to make annoying
comments regarding the game, claiming that the 6 characters weren't
really six people with amnesia, and that kind of stuff, then someone
found the terms & conditions where is states that the game is actually a
game, sponsored by McDonalds. Then I saw a lot of people "opening eyes
to the world", by telling them that it's all fake, it's just a McDonalds
game, that they shouldn't play it, and stuff like that. Nothing new
here, but my reaction is to think that this has happened EVERY TIME a
new art/media/you-name-it is introduced.

You must surely have heard of cases of entire towns raising money and/or
goods to donate for a soap-opera character that is going to have a baby
in the 60s/70s, my own parents told me how people went to the TV channel
to protest, insult and even try to hurt "bad guys" actors, unable to
separate fiction from real life. Even Shakespeare menctions it in "A
Midsummer Night's Dream", when on the play inside play, Nick Bottom
tells Peter Quince to write a prologue to tell the audience that they
shouldn't be afraid, as the lion isn't really a lion, merely an actor in
disguice.

Luckly for us, those "hecklers" usually are the minority (like in the
soap operas and plays) and players disregards those comments, because
even if they know they are playing a game, they believe it, and enter
the magic circle of disbelief :)