[arg_discuss] Accounting for Player Disruption?

Dan Hon dan at sixtostart.com
Fri Mar 14 07:50:24 EDT 2008

This is something that I really do wish the ARG genre/audience would
grow up and accept.

I realise that there are issues with media literacy, but people don't
expect that everything they read in a book is true, and similarly for
television, movies and radio.

On the one hand, there are certain things that producing an ARG as a
hoax, or one that follows the 'this is not a game' philosophy brings
you, but then there are a whole bunch of things that not following
that philosophy brings you as well. Whether your game reveals itself
as hoax-like or not shouldn't either add or detract to it being part
of this new genre.

Rant over.

--
Dan Hon, CEO, Six to Start
m: +44 7870 600 828

On 14 Mar 2008, at 00:50, Mark Heggen wrote:

> [...]

>> more, particularly in the ARG world.

>> Second; people are amazingly good at enjoying a story without getting

>> bogged down in the metafictional consequences. Our brains are just

>> good at

>> that. When Zack from Saved By the Bell freezes time and talks

>> directly to us

>> about his classmates, we don't get confused. Seconds after the jerk

>> in your

>> game tells everyone that they are playing a game made by Fox,

>> almost all

>> those people will have no problem immediately returning back into the

>> fictional world of your plot.

>> Third: it is actually quite comforting to know on some level that

>> you are

>> taking part in a controlled fictional experience. That way you

>> don't have to

>> actually call the police when a character goes missing or witnesses

>> a crime.

>> It is fun to get creepy cryptic emails from strangers when you

>> actually know

>> that this is all a game. It is far less enjoyable to get creepy

>> emails from

>> genuine strangers.

>> I guess that some small percentage of players would actually be

>> upset by a

>> reminder that they are being feed advertisements, but a huge

>> majority of

>> people (especially the people who will likely be playing your game)

>> don't

>> really care. They are just there for the free content. All this is

>> assuming

>> that your client is a typical brand that people are familiar and

>> somewhat

>> comfortable with. I guess if Blackwater USA or the Earth Liberation

>> Front is

>> paying for your game, things get more complicated.

>> In closing, maybe look to Jane McGonigal's latest project for

>> guidance?

>> She is working with McDonald's (a brand that plenty of people

>> dislike or at

>> least make jokes about) but after some initial mystery she just

>> came right

>> out with a press release and said something to the effect of; I am

>> making a

>> game with McDonald's and the Olympics. If you play, you will be

>> taking part

>> in a Big Mac ad. If that is a problem then sorry. Meanwhile, we

>> will be over

>> here playing this really great Big Mac ad. Your call.

>> Well handled if you ask me.

>> _Mark Heggen

>> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM, <libfli at aol.com> wrote:

>>> hey Ivan,

>>> it has been my experience that players (or audience) usually

>>> handle this

>>> very well by themselves. players usually reign in anyone who

>>> tramples down

>>> this path. i recently created a storyworld and forum to promote a

>>> film.

>>> when it was announced to the press that this was for a promotion the

>>> character's blog as well as the forum had many "this is fake" &

>>> "this is for

>>> Fox" messages. the character i created ignored some of the more

>>> obnoxious

>>> postings.. but there were a few posts that she did address. she

>>> was able to

>>> address these questions directly because she was created to be a

>>> part of the

>>> audience. she too questioned what was going on... so, for this

>>> project, it

>>> was solved by design. the audience did a great job coming to the

>>> aid of

>>> this character they were so fond of.. it was like someone was

>>> messing with a

>>> friend. in another game i had a stalker. this stalker was madly

>>> infatuated

>>> with my evil character and sent hundreds and hundreds of emails

>>> and phone

>>> messages telling him he knew he was a fake character but still

>>> wanted to

>>> talk with him or meet him. my evil character scoffed at the idea

>>> that he

>>> was "a fake"... because the characters in our alternate realities

>>> really

>>> don't know that they exist only within a work of fiction. hope

>>> that helps.

>>> best

>>> Jan

>>> Subject: [arg_discuss] Accounting for Player Disruption?

>>> I was wondering if anyone, either from experience or untested

>>> theories,

>>> might have advice on how PMs can handle or be prepared for

>>> disruptive

>>> participants.

>>> Has anyone found particularly good ways of dealing with players (or

>>> trolls) who post comments on in-game blogs or forums with comments

>>> like

>>> "THIS IS JUST A GAME," or "THIS IS A PROMOTION FOR X"?

>>> It seems like a behavior that it's important to be respectful of

>>> -- or

>>> rather, that it could be dangerous to censor -- but you also don't

>>> want