[arg_discuss] Accounting for Player Disruption?

libfli at aol.com libfli at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 19:41:04 EDT 2008

hey Ivan,

it has been my experience that players (or audience) usually handle this very well by themselves.  players usually reign in anyone who tramples down this path.  i recently created a storyworld and forum to promote a film.  when it was announced to the press that this was for a promotion the character's blog as well as the forum had many "this is fake" & "this is for Fox" messages.  the character i created ignored some of the more obnoxious postings.. but there were a few posts that she did address.  she was able to address these questions directly because she was created to be a part of the audience.  she too questioned what was going on... so, for this project, it was solved by design.   the audience did a great job coming to the aid of this character they were so fond of.. it was like someone was messing with a friend.  in another game i had a stalker.  this stalker was madly infatuated with my evil character and sent hundreds and hundreds of emails and phone messages telling him he knew he was a fake character but still wanted to talk with him or meet him.  my evil character scoffed at the idea that he was "a fake"...  because the characters in our alternate realities really don't know that they exist only within a work of fiction.  hope that helps.

best

Jan