[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Thu Jun 26 15:36:07 EDT 2008

>"fleshed out personality" is not my requirement. The whole section on

>roleplay is in response to the definition of roleplaying as a social

>interaction pattern as defined by Bjork and Holopainen. This is

>another reason I think why we've been disagreeing.

Well, Bjork and Holopainen aren't here arguing that's a template for looking
at social interactions in ARGs. I'd argue they provided a biased description
of that social interaction that leaves it unduly narrow, leaving many other
in the margins between definitions. Buckets have to be broad to be useful in
a taxonomy like that.

Otherwise, my perspective is like Mike's: some of the magic stuff in the
genre comes out of that roleplay social interaction.