[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Mike Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Thu Jun 26 00:32:12 EDT 2008

On 6/25/08 11:05 PM, "Christy Dena" <cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com> wrote:

It seems you use the term roleplay as including all participation in a
game or theatre. This is why you, and others, reacted to the idea of
'no roleplay'. I think using the term 'roleplay' to denote something
that occurs in every game is redudant.

I do not consider "roleplay" to be an accurate description of all participation in a game. Many players play games on Unfiction, where, as someone said, the game is treated as a game and not an "alternate reality." When players speculate on the characters and what the characters might do, talk about story elements, and generally discuss the game as if it were any other piece of media, then they are clearly not roleplaying, and many players only experience games this way.

But many players do roleplay and interact with the fictional characters of a game. I don't recognize your requirement for a "fleshed out personality" because, well that's a lot to ask of most movies these days, let alone a player of a game, but I would argue that fleshed-out personalities that are separate from player's actual personalities do emerge in ARGs.

Let me use an example from H3ist to illustrate.

The main character, Nisha, put out the call for help on a mission in Chicago. One player, "Lou," was not selected to help Nisha on this mission. He sent an email to another character, Ian: