[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Thu Jun 19 23:15:11 EDT 2008

Good thoughts Brian. Thanks for sharing them here...I'll be citing them. :)

I just realised one confusion of meaning though. When I referred to
"roleplay" I meant *performing a (fantastical) character* (or there
abouts) not 'playing a role' as in *participating*. These are related,
but two different things. I'm working interstate and so don't have all
my files & books with me...so I'll have to leave making this pattern
clearer for another time. And yes, I'm very familiar with Boal. Good
taste. :)

But also, on your point about 'social status' being player- and
designer-facilitated. Indeed, this is one aspect of ARGs that I find
fascinating: seeing how certain elements occur in ARGs no matter what.
Compared to many traditional artistic practices, ARG designers (for a
variety of intended and unintended reasons) remove a lot of things,
but because of the highly collaborative nature of ARGs (among other
factors) players often put a lot of them back in. I find this
interesting. Does this mean that there are certain things that an
artwork has to have?...And if so, why?...