[arg_discuss] The Online Performance Game. A new genre?

Josh Diaz josh.diaz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 10:53:54 EDT 2008

One potential predecessor you might want to look at is Revolution,
from the MIT Education Arcade
(http://www.educationarcade.org/revolution). It was distinctly more
coded (in a vaguely technical sense) than the ad-lib roleplaying of an
ARG, but it was similar historically-oriented. It was designed for
high school students to roleplay a range of citizens during the
American Revolution. The game itself was *developed* by students as
well, as they had to delve into both historical research and testing
to see what worked-- for instance, conversations took a much larger
role in the game than originally anticipated. I suspect that there is
a much larger bent towards 'accuracy', but that was part of it's
educational goal + orientation.

Sliding into video-game territory, but perhaps it's useful.

-jd