[arg_discuss] The Spoon River Metblog and Electronic Literature Organization Conference

Jay Bushman jaybushman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:17:52 EDT 2008

Hey all:

I spent last weekend at the Electronic Literature Organization's
VIsionary Landscapes Conference in Vancouver, Washington. I was
invited to show Loose-Fish Project #1: The Good Captain in their Media
Arts Show and give a talk about it. It was a fascinating weekend -
there were lots of academics, old-school hypertext artists and newer
artists making things that seemed to defy category. I found that
while some people knew about ARGs, many did not, and I found myself
talking about them at length to people who were mind-boggled at the
idea.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Carolyn Handler Miller, author of
the book Digital Storytelling (<http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Storytelling-Creators-Interactive-Entertainment/dp/0240805100
>) which has a whole chapter on ARGs. It was quite odd to read a
textbook describe the Anti-Robot Militia rallies and "coronersweborg."

I've also just launched Loose-Fish Project #2: THE SPOON RIVER
METBLOG. It's an adaptation of the 1916 poetry compendium Spoon River
Anthology. It's being hosted by the Metroblogging network - a
syndicate of over 50 city-specific hyper-local new sites around the
world. They've built me a fiction metblog for Spoon River, USA.

Site is here: <http://spoonriver.metblogs.com>
Description of project is here: <http://www.loose-fish.com/waifpole/current-story-the-spoon-river-metblog/

Content will update over the next 3 months. And this time, there is a
puzzle buried in the content. Please check it out when you get a
moment. And feel free to leave comments.

Thanks,
Jay

The Loose-Fish Project: <www.loose-fish.com>
The Spoon River Metroblog: <http://spoonriver.metblogs.com>