[arg_discuss] Open Source ARGs

David Fono fono at mobilefono.com
Wed Jul 30 12:16:33 EDT 2008

This just brought up a series of reflections that have been floating
through my head for a number of years now. The relevance to ARGs has
always been evident, but honestly I'm not sure exactly what I talk
about when I talk about this. I'm going to put it out there because
I'm sure someone can draw a clear connection.

About 15 years ago Nintendo's online department started up a series of
"interactive stories." These were nothing like interactive fiction,
and Nintendo's nomenclature was grounded in nothing whatsoever, which
is why I have hard time figuring out the context for this.
Essentially, these ISes consisted of a bunch of kids and teenagers on
a forum writing stories that took place within the universe of a
Nintendo game -- Zelda, Starfox, etc. This sounds like fanfic, and
technically that's an appropriate label. But the mechanics of the
community and the nature of the stories written went a lot deeper than
what I've seen in fanfic (although I'm hardly an expert in the field.)
First, while the stories borrowed the worlds of the Nintendo games,
they did so only in the most basic sense. The writers pretty much
universally ignored the inhabitants of these worlds -- characters,
institutions, technology, etc. -- and replaced with incredibly
elaborate societies of their own devising. Take Starfox for example:
the most narratively complex Starfox game contains perhaps 100 lines
of dialogue, whereas within the IS writers built entire political
systems, interracial conflicts, a media ecosystem, etc.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. The writers didn't write their
stories in isolation. The culture that formed around these ISes was as
much one of reading as of writing, and it was generally the norm to
write your own contributions in a manner that reflected other
contributions. Nor was this a simple matter of collaborating on a
single, shared story, though. Rather, a definite but unwritten
protocol sprang up that dictated how the stories of different writer's
ought to "interact." This was facilitated by a hierarchal board system
that reflected geographical partitions in the setting -- so, for
instance, writers who wrote about things happening on Planet Fortuna
would stick to the Fortuna board, and consequently be exposed to the
other "events" happening on the planet. A common sort of interaction
went like this: Alice writes about a restaurant in a chapter of her
story, and the next day Bob has the characters in his story visit the
same restaurant. Or, alternatively: Alice writes about her politician
character giving a speech, and the next day Bob depicts his characters
watching the scene on TV in one scene. What this sort of exchange did
was build the community and given the writers a sense of involvement
with one another (and appreciation), while at the same time allowing
space for each writer to pursue their distinct, creative vision.
Occasionally, these exchanges would build a deeper relationship
between writers who would then pursue an explicit collaboration --
their stories would directly intersect. Even more rarely, certain
events -- events of significant impact, gracefully written by a writer
respected by the community -- would be adopted by all the writers of a
region or the entire universe. For instance, Alice writes about her
politician character declaring a state of emergency, and a large
proportion of the other writers skew their stories accordingly,
sometimes for the full duration of the IS. All these levels of
interaction, taking place at different levels, in different group
sizes, around different topics formed a remarkably complex ecosystem
of information give-and-take within the fictional universe. And it was
almost certainly these complex interactions that allowed the writers
to collaboratively build such intricate and enduring systems within
their stories.

Now, I know this sounds a lot like plenty of other collaborative
activities on the net -- I mean, this is just another example of
chaotic fiction. But, I have yet to see anything quite the same.
Tragically, any evidence of these ISes seems to have evaporated from
the aether -- googling for "interactive story" along with one of the
IS titles brings up no hits whatsoever. To me, that's remarkable
considering that I'm quite sure that the combined word count for the
Starfox IS was at least a couple million. I still keep track of some
of the veterans of these stories at kupopolis.com, where the same
sorts of mechanics are employed and remain similarly fascinating.

I mention all this of course because I think this is all a pretty
clear precedent for the sort of thing John is suggesting -- but I'm
also wondering if anyone else out there knows what I'm talking about
and can connect the dots for me. I strongly suspect that there are
entire massive communities dedicated to this sort of thing that
everyone has known about for a while now, but I'm in the dark.

Cheers,
David