[arg_discuss] Fwd: is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Sun Jan 27 23:25:42 EST 2008

Resurrecting the discussion, because I stumbled onto this post, from a
planner, about the NIN ARG:

http://southernplanner.wordpress.com/2008/01/27/how-can-trent-reznor-be-dead-wrong-and-a-genius-at-the-same-time/

How can Trent Reznor be dead wrong and a genius at the same time?
Published January 27, 2008

It’s not fu@%ing marketing. I’m not trying to sell anything. – Trent
Reznor, NIN,Wired 01.2008
This is what Trent Reznor, lead singer of Nine Inch Nails, had to say
about the alternate reality game (ARG) component of his new album Year
Zero. (Note: if you haven’t heard the ARG term before, think of all
the online components that surround LOST or the Audi A3 art of the
heist campaign). Interestingly he deflects this add-on to his music as
a progression of the intricate story lines and liner notes that
accompanied the traditional concept album, but denies it’s selling
potential. Now in a digital age free of the printed CD accompaniments
Reznor has turned to this online technique to tell the story. I think
this is genius, not just because this seems to be the next logical
step in concept albums, but because of the level of engagement NIN and
their ARG partner, 42 Entertainment, were able to achieve through the
game.

Games are about engaging with the most entertaining thing on the
planet…which is other people. – Jordan Weisman, 42 Entertainment,Wired
01.2008

It all began with a jump drive, containing a copy of a NIN song
withering away to the sound of crickets, which was surreptitiously
left in a concert arena bathroom. This file was then loaded on a fan
forum like Echoing the Sound, setting in motion a chain of clues, 30
connected websites, and events that would eventually touch 2.5 million
fans before the album was launched.

Where I have to throw the bull-s#!t flag is when Reznor says this
isn’t marketing. This new form of engagement may not be what
traditionally comes to mind when you think of marketing (i.e. TV ads,
distribution deals, street teams, etc.), however in my opinion this is
definitely marketing. The main goal of communication is to engage the
audience, and I can’t think of a more immersive experience than this.
To me ARGs are just another available tool in a marketer’s tool box
that can be used to communicate with a group of people. This
nomenclature and weighted connotations that follow words like
“marketing” and “advertising”, which all seem tied to the traditional
methods of the past, make it harder to talk about what it is that we
actually do as marketing and advertising professionals. For this
reason I am happy to see that my esteemed alma mater has now changed
its name from VCU Adcenter to the VCU Brandcenter. What the school
teaches stretches way beyond the bounds of what is typically
considered advertising and it is great to see an outward
representation of this with a heartfelt stake in the ground. So to me,
Reznor is just using a new method of engaging his fans, creating a
more entertaining and immersive experience for them and in the end
selling albums, that is marketing 101.

---

Best,

Michael Monello