[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Thu Jan 10 10:12:34 EST 2008

There have been ARGs (or ARG like projects) that were not marketing
campaigns but instead capitalized on one piece of media to generate
revenue. I would suggest Blair Witch, Freakylinks, Nothing So Strange,
and Cathy's Book as projects that were truly cross-media rather than
marketing campaigns for a films, books or tv shows. Despite how mass
media may have characterized some of them, they were all developed to
be cross media narratives, not marketing campaigns supporting a
property.

Since so many marketing ARGs have been for entertainment properties
it's hard to make a distinction, but I believe there is one to be
made, as in the above examples the creators of the ARG also were
creators and owners of the exploitable properties.

Obviously there's a risk involved in this model -- some of these were
more successful financially than others, but they are all in their own
way tackling the economic issue.

Best,

Michael Monello
Partner, Campfire