[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Jason Chrest jason at aporiacme.com
Tue Jan 1 10:24:45 EST 2008

Between those two most recent responses, I would have to question a few things. Some of the best experiences for players are the various live events and live character interactions (see http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22411 ). Though there are numerous replayable situations that could be developed, some of the most attractive aspects of ARGs are real-time events.

I'm developing one now that is long term, so I have been trying to come up with various ideas for how to deal with the situation of new players coming in. I'm sure man of us have discussed amongst ourselves this situation, and I'll readilly admit that it is a very hard problem to find a solution for. The thing to me is that as the game is playing out over time, the characters grow with the players in a natural process and introducing foreign influences is something that naturally would be met with some resistence. I would be apprehensive before meeting any of you, or allowing any of you into my life - as many would be for anyone - so it's only natural that a game that pushes the boundaries of fact or fiction with highly "intelligent" characters would face the same or similar apprehensions from both players and characters alike.

Before I forget - Happy New Years to you all as well. Perhaps the answer to the problem is a shift in the way we approach player/designer interaction?
Jason Chrest
Aporia Cross-Media Entertainment
www.aporiacme.com
jason at aporiacme.com