[arg_discuss] Casual/Hardcore

Patrick O'Luanaigh patrick at ndreams.com
Mon Feb 11 09:36:21 EST 2008

I'm thinking of the 5-10% of players who get so into the ARG that they
constantly want more to do. It appears that many players seem happy to spend
a few hours each week solving puzzles and finding out what happens next in
the story, whereas some players want to play almost non-stop, and get
frustrated when they have to wait a few days for something new to happen (as
seems to have been a problem with Majestic?)

So I guess what I'm proposing is to create an additional track of
longer-duration challenges for players that want extra stuff to do, whilst
keeping a track which only requires a few hours each week for the casual
players. The casual players are happy, and the "hardcore" players are happy.
What the casual players experience is the key puzzles and story, whereas
players that want more can play for considerably longer each week doing
additional harder puzzles that are designed to take more time...

Patrick