[arg_discuss] Weekly Informal IRC Chats

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Mon Aug 18 17:26:43 EDT 2008

Well, the Writing SIG uses this chat room instead of IRC for several
reasons. You decide if they apply here or not. I'm just saying it's an
option.

1) Compatibility. Sure, everyone can get to IRC - if they know how.
Web interfaces are finicky and doing things the old-fashioned way
requires some technical know-how. The chatroom requires pretty much no
technical knowledge and thus there's a lower barrier to entry.

2) Simplified message. Instead of having to explain all the various
ways of getting to IRC, getting to the right room, etc. all we have to
do is distribute the URL, the date and the time (which can be
confusing enough when working with a large group.)

3) Control of logs. Anyone can log the conversation on IRC. Only admin
can log the conversation on the chatroom. While it's been more
important for the Writing SIG to be able to have _reliable_ logging
(which not all web chats have) in this case I can see where turning
the logging off could be beneficial.

4) Control of the server. I have direct access to the guy who owns the
server this chatroom is sitting on, so if I want changes or if
something goes horribly wrong fixes are just a phonecall (or IM or
email) away.

So that's why we use it instead of IRC. Your mileage may vary.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com