[arg_discuss] Open Source ARGs

David Flor dflor at dlimedia.com
Sat Aug 2 15:58:09 EDT 2008

I think I might hold the record for the longest fan-created unFiction
thread that was based on a game that, at the time, didn't exist.

For my currently running game (which I call "ShadowWatch", but the UF
guys refer to as "BoL/SiD"), I created a membership page shortly after I
finished LGL. As a result of that page, and the months between that
page's discovery and the official launch of the game, in order for
players to keep interested they began creating their own story.

So my little run of the mill ARG, which hadn't even been launched yet
and nobody knew anything about, ballooned in to the 49-page "Pastry
Wars" thread on unFiction (
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25020 ). Several
people on UF now have their pastry affiliation in their signature, even
in the form of graphics. There have also been two ARGs since then based
on the whole pastry theme, all generated by fans (they asked for my
blessing, and I obviously encouraged it).

It felt kind of weird that the "pre-game" and the two new games the fans
created were more captivating than my own game, and it is something that
to this day is kind of hard to live up to.

As part of LGL I invited fans to submit artistic recommendations -
books, artwork, songs, etc... - and the response I got was fantastic.
And I did end up using their recommendations for game content (for
Joshua's reviews and for elements of the "four paths" puzzle set). It
was kind of pleasing to see their reaction when the game responded to
their suggestions and their input, and the sensation they had that they
were in control of the game made it all the more enjoyable.

For my next game I am kicking around some ideas about making it more
player driven, mainly because it's going to have some artistic aspects
that I am not very good at. We'll see how it goes.

Tnx & Rgds...
David Flor - dflor at dlimedia.com
Darklight Interactive - http://www.dlimedia.com/

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico"